Manly coach Trent Barrett insists the Sea Eagles will be cleared of an NRL investigation into the club’s salary cap.
Barrett has sought out assurances from Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn, amid reports that landed the club at the front and centre of alleged breaches across multiple clubs.
“I’ve spoken to Scott Penn who has assured us that everything is fine,” Barrett said.
“We were audited a couple of weeks ago so if there was anything there it would have been brought up.”
Manly have shot from pre-season wooden-spoon contenders to premiership chances, on the back of a five-game winning streak taking them to third on the ladder.
Severe salary cap breaches in previous years have results in points penalties to clubs – which has not yet been threatened by the NRL
However when asked whether he was concerned, Barrett was defiant.
“I know how we operate here and we’ve got nothing to worry about,” he said.
The Fairfax Media allegations on Wednesday suggested a former Sea Eagles player was connected to a cash handover in a car park.
They also pointed to top-up payments by multiple unnamed clubs, as well as the skirting of NRL salary cap laws by undisclosed cash payments from third-party sponsors to players.
Barrett has only been at the Sea Eagles since the beginning of last year, and was unwilling to comment on matters before his arrival at the club.
But he pointed to the club’s financial position and roster of toilers as further proof his team had no right to be concerned.
“We’re not a club that has a lot of money,” he said.
“We get by on a shoestring and that’s why it’s pretty laughable in our playing group because we have to kick and scratch for everything.
“We’re a privately owned club, we don’t have a leagues club. We do it tough at times.
“Seriously, if you look through our roster, we’ve got a lot of younger players in there who are really doing their best at the moment.”